Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Upma with Oats (Savoury Oats porridge)

This upma was introduced to me by my mom. When she was visiting me, I had a huge Oatmeal box in my pantry and was about to throw it away. By then, I was done with having boring oatmeal. When my mom first served me with oats upma, I was very skeptical. But, it didn't take too many bites before I got addicted to it. I like the texture and flavor of rolled oats over oatmeal. You may use oatmeal also. I've tested the recipe with both and it tastes great either way. If using rolled oats, cook 5 minutes more.






What you need to make Oats Upma:

2 cup rolled oats
3 - 4 cups water (depending on what kind of texture you like)
1/2 medium sized onion, diced
2 green chilies, sliced (optional)
1/4 inch ginger, chopped fine
1 cup mixed vegetables (diced carrots, green beans, fresh green peas, diced potatoes)
1 medium sized tomato, diced
sal to taste

2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon halved cashews or peanuts (optional)
1/2 teaspoon each, mustard seeds, cumin seeds)
5-6 curry leaves (optional, but great if you can get it)
a pinch turmeric powder

How to do:
  1. In a saucepan, heat oil on medium-high.
  2. Add cashews, mustard and cumin seeds.
  3. When the mustard seeds stop spluttering, add turmeric, onion, green chilies, and ginger. Saute for a minute.
  4. Add mixed vegetables, tomato, salt to taste. Saute for a minute, add water and cook until the vegetables are cooked but crisp to bite.
  5. Add oats. Stir well. If using rolled oats, cover and cook for 5 minutes. If using oatmeal, cook for 3 min or until done to your preference.
  6. Serve hot or cold.
This makes an excellent savoury breakfast, also a great tiffin item.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe.
Picture looks great!

Anonymous said...

Looks great. I'm going to print it out and give the recipe a try, but without the chiles.

AMIT said...

Looks like a good recipe.

Lingerie Bookmark