Saturday, March 31, 2007

Jihva for Tomatoes - Peanut, Tomatillos Chutney

This my contribution for JFI-Tomatoes hosted by RP of My Workshop. I'm a newbie in food blogging, but, a very curious and passionate cook. I'm a regular visitor on many blogs and when I saw JFI - Tomatoes on JP's site, I was thrilled. One thing that caught my eye instantly is 'Tomatillos'.

When I first saw Tomatillos in US, they reminded me of a fruit that grows on a weed back home. But soon, I learnt its extreme tartness and existence in many Latin American cuisines. How can one miss Tomatillo-Chipotle sauce living in Southern USA? Not a chance!

Since then, I'm hooked on it and tried incorporating this cute little vegetable (actually, fruit) in my cooking. I must tell you, I'm pleased with the results. One such incorporation is this Chutney I make with tomatillos and peanuts. As I've enjoyed this delicious preparation, I'm sharing it with you.

Peanut chutney is very popular in southern part of Andhra Pradesh, India. Traditionally its made with peanuts and tamarind pulp. In my recipe, I'm replacing Tamarind with this "little tomato".

What you need to make this Chutney:

These measurements can be changed according to your spice level and tartness tolerance.


1 medium sized Tomatillo
2 cups peanuts, roasted (with or without salt)
8-12 Thai green chilies
Salt to taste (be careful with the amount if using salted peanuts)
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon + 1teaspoon cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon each black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal
7-10 curry leaves


How to make:

  1. Heat one teaspoon oil in a saute pan and add green chilies and whole tomatillo. When done roasting, remove from heat and allow to cool.
  2. Roast peanuts if not already roasted. Let them cool for 10 minutes.
  3. Blend together tomatillo, green chilies, peanuts and clove of garlic, adding little water. Add salt and blend to a semi-smooth paste.
  4. Heat one tablespoon oil, add curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal.
  5. Roast them until they leave nice aroma. Add chopped onion. Saute for a minute.
  6. Add the blended chutney. Lower the heat to simmer and let the chutney heat a little bit. This will allow all the flavors blend properly.

That's it! Enjoy with rice, idlies, dosas, or as a spread on falafel sandwich......the options are limitless.



No comments: